Guatemala

Let's use this blog to keep up with each other! Excited to be in Guatemala, but also missing everyone! Post whatever!

Monday, September 03, 2007

So Now They´re Nice To Me?

I stopped by my former host family´s house the other day to say hi and use their computer. To my surprise Isabel offered me lunch, free of charge. When I was living with them I got the impression that they really didn´t want to feed me, even after we established the cost of Q3 per meal, and I really don’t think I made the whole thing up in my head. Now that I´m out of the house I´m getting free meals, the kids actually smile at me instead of acting really awakward, and today Yadira asked me how I was doing like she actually cared! My status I guess has been boosted somehow. Ignacio even asked me for help in sending an e-mail, where before it seemed that he didn´t trust my advice enough to even ask it. Very interesting. The family was never mean to me, but they weren´t eager to make me an honorary 7th member.
While living with the family I was so bitter at them for charging me Q3 per meal after I had been eating with them for almost a month, that I purposely rarely ate with them again even when I was hungry (for those of you who don´t know, I can be stubborn sometimes). Lacking my own stove, there were nights when I was starving and really wanted to ask for a meal but couldn´t do it. So imagine the irony of the following. Isabel offered me the free meal, and based on the food issues just described, I really want to dig in and eat it all. The food looked great and by chance I asked her what the meat was (I had assumed chicken patty) – she tells me it´s COW TONGUE!!!! How funny! Needless to say I could only bring myself to eat one small piece, and even the accompanying rice tasted like the meat (this could´ve been my mind) so I didn’t even eat the free meal that I felt I deserved (for having been a good tenant that paid extra when they asked me to instead of telling them off which is what I really wanted to do). I told her that I wasn´t accustomed to eating cow tongue, which is the truth, and she seemed to have understood.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home