Guatemala

Let's use this blog to keep up with each other! Excited to be in Guatemala, but also missing everyone! Post whatever!

Wednesday, April 02, 2008

Dona Fina's 43rd Birthday!

Dona Fina holding the card I made for her. Check out that dinner! Look at all that meat grease.... uuummmm! By the way, Fina is happy she just never smiles. She wouldn't be Guatemalan if she did.
Bianqui and Bonnie getting the cakes together
Once again she really is happy
Preparation

Dona Fina has been a great support for me in Guatemala. She's very giving, and is always ready to sit down and talk. She's one of the few people who were open to me from the beginning. She ows an eatery in my town, and lives in Ellen's town where she has been equally kind to Ellen. For her birthday on February 15th Ellen and I decided to thank her for everything with an U.S. dinner of meatloaf, macarroni and cheese, a salad with vinagrette dressing (Guatemalans never eat lettuce or salad as we know it. A typical Guatemalan salad consists of cucumber, tomato, onion, topped with a salt and lime dressing. It's actually delicious, but still not the kind of salad I'm accustomed to), and a chocolate cake. This dinner was also a huge deal for Ellen and I - taking advantage of Dona Fina's oven it was a chance to eat food we miss! Here are some pictures.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home