Guatemala

Let's use this blog to keep up with each other! Excited to be in Guatemala, but also missing everyone! Post whatever!

Monday, May 28, 2007



There are also several vendors that sell the traditional Mayan dress: Guipil (blouse) and Corte (skirt)

As you can see the colors are very vibrant and beautiful. Unfortunately the traditional traje as it is called is also very expensive - 1,000 quetzales for the pair. I want to buy one, but I have to save some money! The Corte is a long piece of fabric made up of 8 baras that are wrapped around the waist several times (if I remember correctly a bara is a little less than a meter). Not everyone wears a full 8 bara corte especially becuase the price of a corte is sold by bara (around 50 quetzales per bara). The Guipiles are cheaper but prices vary according to how intricate the designs are. The teachers at one of my schools suggested that I buy a 4 bara corte... we´ll see.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home